The Dental Council of India has been entrusted with the following objectives :
- Maintenance of uniform standard of Dental education – both at Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels.
- It envisages inspections/visitation of Dental Colleges for permission to start Dental Colleges, increase of seats, starting of new Postgraduate courses.
- To prescribe the standard curricula for the training of dentists, dental hygienists, dental mechanics and the conditions of such training.
- To prescribe the minimum standards of examinations and other requirements to be satisfied to secure qualifications for recognition under the Act.
- Supervision over all the dental institutions to ensure that they maintain the prescribed standard