The Dental Council of India is in a process of preparing an E-consortium (Digital Library) containing renowned journals (National and International) to provide it to all the dental colleges in a cost effective manner with an aim to raise the standard of dental education in the country. It would be beneficial for both students and faculty members of the dental colleges.
GRIEVANCE REDRESSAL SYSTEM
Guidelines for lodging complaints
1. No action will be taken on anonymous and pseudonymous complaint and the same are liable to be filed, therefore, kindly mention your proper name and address.
2. Complaints must be brief and contain factual details, verifiable facts and related matter. They should not be vague or contain absurd allegations and sweeping statement.
3. In case, it is found that the complaint was false and harassment has been caused, action may be taken against the complainant.
4. You can directly lodge your complaint on Dental Council of India’s email id – secy-dci[at]nic[dot]in
There has been a long-felt need for an epidemiological study on oral health problems, which would also include a study of the related oral health practices besides mapping fluoride levels in drinking water from various sources in the country. Such a study may help bring about a balance between that oral health needs of the people and the services provided, and help plan and organise need-based services to improve the level of oral health of the people. The Dental Council of India is actively involved in the National Oral Health Survey with Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, New Delhi alongwith other stake holders in the process.
CENTENARY CELEBRATION OF DENTAL EDUCATION IN INDIA (2019-20)
The Dental Council of India has decided to celebrate “Centenary Celebration of Dental Education in India” to perpetuate the memories of Dr. R. Ahmed, Father of dentistry in India, who established first Dental Institute in the Country, presently known as Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College & Hospital, Kolkata (Govt. Dental College, Kolkata, West Bengal), to be inaugurated on 24.12.2019 on the birth anniversary of Dr. R. Ahmed. The closing ceremony of the said function will be celebrated on 24.12.2020. Further, the Council has also decided as under:-
1. A postal stamp would be released to commemorate this historic occasion.
2. A yearbook on 100 years of Dentistry would be published involving the History of Dentistry and incorporating landmark events, occasions as well as carrying old relics paving way to modern day dentistry in the Country.
3. Dr. R. Ahmed Award will be given to Eminent Dental Researcher/Teacher/Socio-Dental Professional in the line of Dr. B.C. Roy Award.
4. Nationwide various Oral Health awareness Programs in the country will be undertaken through dental institutions and State Dental Councils during the celebration period (2019-2020).
TOBACCO CESSATION CENTERS IN DENTAL COLLEGES
The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, in collaboration with Dental Council of India and World Health Organisations has made plans to involve Dental Colleges of the Country to partner in tobacco cessation initiative. Operational Guidelines for the purpose has already been released. The Global trends of oral diseases are witnessing a paradigm shift with the rising numbers of oral cancers. Dental Health Care Providers have an immense potential that needs to be channelized strategically. There should be Consistent identification, documentation and treatment of every tobacco user at each visit to the hospital. Effective treatment should be offered to all tobacco users. Consequently, establishing tobacco cessation clinics in dental institutions would be a stepping stone towards oral cancer prevention. The Dental Institutions can be instrumental in rendering behavioural and pharmacological interventions along with dental care to facilitate changes in tobacco users’ behaviour. It would also strengthen the Dental Council of India and National Tobacco Control Program, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India role and strategies to promote tobacco control and render tobacco cessation services.
(ESTABLISHMENT OF TOBACCO CESSATION CENTERS IN DENTAL INSTITUTES AN INTEGRATED APPROACH IN INDIA)